Will be awarding up to two scholarships at the end of this month to two athletes currently participating in Bow Valley Quickies or Banff Alpine Racers Programs. Each award shall be $1,750 and is to be applied toward coaching fees or travel costs for the 2017/2018 season.
Please fill in the attached application and provide a cover letter introducing yourself to the BARF Selection Committee: Brian Brown, Greg Manktelow, Paul Stutz and Damien Mills.
All applications shall be reviewed by the Committee and winning applicants contacted directly by BARF.
- Who can apply? Anyone, though special consideration is provided to applicants who reside (full or Part Time) in the Bow Valley Communities of Exshaw, Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise. The foundation is part of the Bow Valley Community Foundation so its charter is to support and promote skiing to families and athletes who reside in the Bow Valley
- Can the funds be used elsewhere? No, the Foundation was set up to support young athletes as they participate and develop as young ski racers in the Bow Valley Racers or Banff Alpine Racers Programs.
- Do I need to be a BVQ or BAR Athlete? No, but special consideration is provided to athletes who are currently enrolled within BVQ or BAR Programs. The committee may elect at their discretion to provide funds to an athlete who is an Alumni of the program or advancing in the ski career beyond BVQ & BAR Programming.
- Do I have to be a top athlete in my age group to qualify? No, awards and achievements within ski racing are not necessary qualifications. We’re looking for athletes that want to continue in the sport and have a passion for ski racing, skiing, their skiing community and peers.
- Who should fill out the application? The athlete applying for the scholarship should fill out the application and provide a cover letter. It’s about them and their passion for the sport.
- Is this designed as financial aid? Financial need is not a requirement for the application or award of the scholarship but part of the goal of BARF is to support athletes as they grow in the sport so consideration is given to athletes who may not otherwise be able to continue in the sport without aid from the community.
- Are there other scholarships available for young athletes? Yes, there are many scholarships and grants available for young athletes in Alberta and we would encourage you to look for these opportunities in addition to application to BARF. Alberta Alpine maintains a list of awards and grants available for young athletes. Winning or receiving additional grants in no way impedes your application or probability of winning the BARF Scholarship.
- Can I receive the scholarship more than once? Yes, though each year you will need to apply.
Again we will be holding Banff Community Ski Lessons for kids who reside and attend school in Banff. This program is fundraised by Banff Alpine Racers and Bow Valley Quikies. We encourage local Banff kids to get outside and experience skiing in the mountains. This program is free for eligible candidates aged 5-10years.
Lessons are Friday Evening at Mt Norquay 5pm-6.30pm
Camp #1 – January 26th, February 2nd and February 9th – CLOSED
Camp #2 – February 23rd, March 2nd and March 9th – OPEN UNTIL February 10th
To register please read and complete the documents below – contact details included
Alpine Canada Form
“Creating Skiers For Life”
Looking forward another year of great skiing with Erik, Trevor and Jeffrey representing Canada around the world this season.
Erik Read trained hard while pursuing a post secondary education at Denver University. Last season Read had 4 personal best results. He hit the top 10 on the World Cup Circuit in Slalom, Giant Slalom and Alpine Combined.
Erik Read National Team Profile
Jeffrey Read made the Canadian Alpine Development Team in 2015. Last season Jeffrey finished with 2 top 15 finishes at the FIS Junior World Ski Championships.
Jeffrey Read National Team Profile
Trevor Philp also studied at Denver University while racing at his highest level. In 2015-16 Trevor had a season best with 14th place finish in Slalom at Kitzbuhel.
Trevor Philp National Team Profile
Thank you to all the volunteers that made the Canmore and Banff Ski Swaps possible. Many kids, parents, new and old residents got some great deals, and are now ready to shred this season. Special mention to Canadian Rockies Public Schools that allowed us to host the Swap in 2 great locations. Some gear that was donated is now at the Re-Use It Centre in Banff Industrial Area. Lots of kids boots, some adult boots, poles and helmets.
Thank you to the retailers that attended the past 2 weekends. Techno Sport, Ski West, Sports Experts, Monod Sports, Obermeyer & Head, Snowtips, Technica/Blizzard, Ultimate Ski and Ride, Abominable Sports, Panorama Mountain Resort and our home hill Mt.Norquay Ski Resort.
KEEN TO SKI WITH US THIS SEASON?
We still have a few spots left in Bow Valley Quikies Ski Programs – 1day and 2day a week options. Contact us if you are interested, or register at: http://www.zone4.ca
BAR Alumni Claire Timmermann has made a great video to get to know her Team mates on the Alberta Ski Team. Worth a watch!
NEED NEW SKI GEAR? NEED TO CLEAR OUT THE GARRAGE? We are hosting 2 Swaps in the Bow Valley. All sporting goods accepted. Must be in descent condition. Sorry no rear entry boots, or straight skis. Email us here on the website with any questions.
Canmore Collegiate High School
- Sale – Saturday October 7th from 2-8pm, Early Bird Sale 1-2pm
- Consignment – Friday October 6th 5-8pm, Saturday October 7th 9am-12pm
- Pick Up – Sunday October 8th – 9-11am
Banff Elementary School
- Sale – Saturday October 14th from 2-8pm, Early Bird Sale 1-2pm
- Consignment – Friday October 13th 5-8pm, Saturday October 14th 9am-12pm
- Pick Up – Sunday October 15th – 9-11am
BAR Ski Swap Poster 2017
We are excited to open registration to new athletes for our 40th Anniversary. School returns soon so it’s time to think about the upcoming ski season. Check out program details here on our website. To register please head to www.zone4.ca and Search for Banff Alpine Racers OR Bow Valley Quikies, or you can use the links provided below. Don’t wait too long, programs are filling up fast!
Banff Alpine Racers – U14/U16/FIS
Bow Valley Quikies – Q16/Q18/Q22/Q33/U10/U12
If you have any questions you can send your details through our contact form.
Pictured are Mike and Bonnie Wiegele – Founders of Banff Alpine Racers